Interesting harvesting techniques add to the flavour of the Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2015. One third of the grapes picked was exposed to the sun, then a third was fruit which hung partially in the sun and the final third was fruit inside the canopy which hung in the shade. Wonderful selection of components for the final blending before bottling.
80% of the wine was fermented in a selection of 1st, 2nd and 3rd fill French 500 litre oak barrels. After fermentation, the wine was aged on the lees. This adds so much to the complex layers, mouthfeel and creaminess in the wine. The remaining 20% were tank fermented and returned to the blend adding the wonderful crisp freshness in the wine.
It looks like
Bottled in a Burgundy shaped bottle under screwcap with a white label and the Zevenwacht calligraphy. In the glass the wine it is gem bright pale gold with some lime flashes.
It smells like
Classical Chenin aromas, the honey, the marzipan, yellow cling peaches, guava.
It tastes like
Dry on entry followed by complex layers which reveal themselves the deeper you get into the glass. All the fruit and white flowers, just so silky smooth, oleaginous and the flavour just lingers on. Serious benchmark Chenin Blanc.
It’s good with
This is a more serious take on Chenin and you would do it honour with a well-cooked dish. A fine buttery roast organic chicken, some large chunky crunchy prawns. A delicious vegetarian dish like Mari-Louis Guy & Callie Maritz’s Roasted Cabbage Pie is a perfect foil for this wine.
Mari-Louis Guy & Callie Maritz’s Roasted Cabbage Pie
Serves 4 - 6
1 small white cabbage | 1 small red cabbage | 250ml (1 cup) mayonnaise | 30ml (2 Tbsp) flour | salt and pepper | 500ml (2 cups) plain yoghurt | 4 eggs | 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only | ½ loaf day-old rye or sourdough bread, thickly sliced | 50 g garlic butter | ½ cup (50g) finely grated Parmesan cheese | 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock
Preheat the oven to 180° C.
Slice the cabbages into thick, bread-like slices. Try to keep the pieces together. | Mix together the mayo, flour, seasoning, yoghurt, eggs and thyme. | Pour into a greased oven dish, then gently arrange the cabbage in alternate layers. Bake for 30 minutes. | Layer the bread on top of the cabbage. Dot with the garlic butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. | Slowly pour the stock all over the bread, then push the bread slightly into the dish. | Bake for another 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
Listen to my Fine Music Radio podcast – CLICK HERE
Read more about Zevenwacht Wine Estate – CLICK HERE