The nose shows concentrated aromas of crushed fig leaves, guava and passion fruit, with hints of grapefruit that continues on to the palate. The generous mouth feel is supported with a fine natural lime acidity that gives the wine length and focus. Previous vintages confirm that this wine ages beautifully and develops more complexity over time as flavours subtly change.
Most certainly delicious now but matures beautifully for up to 3 years.
85% Sauvignon Blanc, 15% Semillon
When to Enjoy: A superlative Aperitif wine and a flawless companion to a meal. An enticing accompaniment to fresh mouth watering tropical fruit skewers or with seafood such as seared tuna served with rocket and green mango, calamari or crayfish with lemon butter. Invent a tantilising combination of your own to complement the complexity of this Sauvignon Blanc. Serve well chilled but not ice cold.
In The Vineyard
South facing and elevated 340 meters above sea level, these 15 year old vines look out over False Bay and are planted on the coolest site on our farm. The soil is mainly decomposed granite with clay subsoil helping to buffer the vines during stress. The grapes from this site derive the full benefit from the cool sea breeze during the slow ripening stages. Pungency, aroma and full concentration are the hallmark of this fine Sauvignon Blanc. There is no shortage of these varietal characteristics on these lofty southern slopes.
About The Harvest
The grapes were harvested at 23.7° B in the early hours of the morning.
In The Cellar
90% of the wine was tank fermented at 12°C. The remaining 10% was barrel fermented in a 2nd fill 500L Francois Frere medium toast barrel. The wine spent 8 months on the lees with weekly stirring for the first 6 months. We blended 15% tank fermented Semillon for mouth feel, extra concentration and flavour.
Zevenwacht Wine Estate, situated on the beautiful Stellenbosch Wine Route is a modern wine farm with a 300 year history. Owned and managed by the Johnson Family, the Estate has a strong commitment to historic and cultural preservation as well as conservation of the surrounding indigenous environment. Two prime farming locations provide the grapes for the Zevenwacht winery. The home vineyard on the Estate’s panoramic 450 hectare maritime influenced property, supplies the majority of the grapes. The farm Zevenrivieren, situated at the crest of the Helshoogte Pass, provides winemaker, Jacques Viljoen, with a boutique selection of grapes that add to the fascinating variety of the wines.