Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2010

Technical Analysis

Winemaker - Jacques Viljoen
Main Variety - Chenin Blanc
Alcohol - 14.2 %vol
pH - 3.48
RS - 3.2 g/l
Total Acid - 6.3 g/l
Appellation - Stellenbosch

Characteristics

Type - White
Style - Dry
Taste - Fruity


Tasting Notes

A clear and bright wine with hints of lime and gold. The nose is both rich and refreshing and contains elements of honey, nuts, ripe yellow fruit. The palate is classically dry yet luxuriantly silky with superb viscosity and length. "Colorful, tropical and dripping with wild honey"

Ageing Potential

Chenin is a wine that develops and deepens both in color and aroma over time and as such awards the patient with extra complexity while offering the impatient oodles of up-front fruit and charm.

Blend Information

100% Chenin Blanc

In The Vineyard

Craggy mountains and their undulating foothills. Granite rich deposits underlying gravelly soil. Tracts of land with a scent of the sea almost powerful enough to overwhelm the senses. Crisp breezes and cool morning mist which envelop hillside vineyards, offering intermittent glimpses of venerable, gnarled vines. These are the surroundings that have Chenin blanc as one of the valued tenants – the South African Winelands. It is in these diverse habitats that this noble variety expresses its inherent finesse and complexity.

Lofty altitudes and southerly aspects punctuate the quality of the 2010 Chenin Blanc. A combination of old vines, in excess of 25 years and newly planted vines in the Banhoek valley, equip the winemaker with luscious, gradually ripened fruit. Fruit is exposed to sunlight, using deliberate leaf removal techniques, that aids in the development of honeyed pineapple scents and a deep golden color in the wine.

In The Cellar

25% of this wine was tank fermented at a Cool fermentation temperature, hovering around 13° C. This helped to express the ripe tropical fruit character of the variety. The other 75% was barrel fermented and aged for 6 months on the lees to add to the complexity and rich mouth feel of the wine. After 6 months we blended the tank and barrel portions and did a further extended lees contact on the fine lees. This resulted in a full-bodied wine with an intense ripe yellow fruitiness.


Other Vintages

Wine Wine Maker Main Variety
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2020 Hagen Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2019 Hagen Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2018 Hagen Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2017 Hagen Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2016 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2015 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2013 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2012 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2011 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2010 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2009 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2008 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2007 Jacques Viljoen Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2006 The Winemaking Team Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2005 Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2004 Karl Lambour Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2003 Karl Lambour Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2002 Karl Lambour Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2001 Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 2000 Hilko Hegewisch Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 1999 Hilko Hegewisch Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc Reserve 1999 Hilko Hegewisch Chenin Blanc
Zevenwacht Chenin Blanc 1998 Hilko Hegewisch Chenin Blanc

Tel: +27.219005700 Email: info@zevenwacht.co.za Langverwacht Road, Kuils River, 7579